Wednesday, 19 August 2020

Task 7 YouTube

YouTube

 For this exercise I decided to look for a video on a subject I've been thinking about starting lately and that's pottery! I thought searching for 'pottery for beginners' would be a good place to start. Turns out there are so many videos. Which to use? The title 'Pottery at home' caught my eye on this video. Although it is part 10 it is really good and easy to follow, so I am keen to watch other videos from 'Pottery to the People' which is the name of the community studio the presenter Mia Moss is from. In the video Mia asks what other projects viewers may be interested in making so I have included a suggestion in my comment below.




Here is the video


I have added the video for hand-building a cup from the Pottery to the people YouTube account. The keywords I used are 'Pottery' 'beginner'  'tutorial'  'clay' 'cup' & 'handmade'
I used these tags (or labels) as I thought anyone searching for beginner pottery videos may use some of these terms to make a search.

My experience

I really enjoyed this particular social media search because it was something I was planning on searching anyway. I now have so many videos I want to go back and view. I have to say you can get very sidetracked using YouTube, so much comes up on any topic you search, that then leads you to other peoples posts and on and on it goes. It really does draw you in. Video is a very powerful medium. It is awesome (in my case) to have so many tutorials available direct to your home. I almost feel like I don't have to join a 'in-person' class, which I have looked into and are quite expensive. 
The video was very easy to embed in the post directly from YouTube using the insert video button in the toolbar. I also looked up other ways to do it so the video is not a square, but I don't mind how it looks. It is good to know there are ways If I wanted the video in a rectangle format.

Use in a library

Video is such a good medium for tutorials so I thought maybe the library could have 'How to' videos on anything from how to use the self checking stations to printing from home & pick up at library through email services. 

Central coast Council has started a Youtube channel offering community awareness campaigns and since covid19 restrictions, library dedicated videos to school holiday events and storytime presentations. It offers a  opportunity for users to still get some access to library services that are no longer available because of covid restrictions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Task 10 Finalise

  Finalise This is the end, bye bye blog! I have shared the blog with class mates and will update with names of pages I have left comments o...